Sunday, December 28, 2008

From our Inbox - Only Sunanda can replace Sunanda

I'm Fazeena Saleem, a Sri Lankan journalist presently working for a newspaper in Doha- Qatar. I would like to share my views about Sunanda as I know personally about his efforts to protect media rights.

Thank You

Fazeena


Only Sunanda can replace Sunanda

I'm among the many who were shocked to hear about the accusation against Sunanda. The very first thought came into my mind was that some one is behind the scene creating him a bad name.

As many other journalists in Sri Lanka I too have associated with him, in fact I worked with him as the Coordinator for Media Safety Assessment in Sri Lanka, project of the Free Media Movement (FMM) implemented with assistance of the International Federation of Journalists (IFJ).

The project was focusing on coordinating Journalists Island wide on all incidents especially on Human Right violations, supporting journalists of the embattled north – east areas of Sri Lanka with financial assistance and insurance schemes, providing safe house for journalists under threat and make over seas travel and stay arrangements when needed. A monthly e- bulletin on the current situation was circulated among more than 5,000 persons including media organizations, civil activists, and diplomats around the globe.

During my short tenure in this project I worked as an independent individual and had more space to learn about Sunanda. No one will take such efforts as he did to protect journalists. At one point there was one instance that Sunanda had to decide either to leave the country for his safety or fight back in the country for others' safety; with all boldness he took the second option. I know personally how he is concerned about the fellow journalists' safety and I have first hand experience.

Sunanda is high profiled with his contacts, communication skills and of course his human qualities. I have not seen anyone else taking the lead against the suppression of journalists. I have discussed with my fellow journalists that we have Sunanda to stand for us if we are in trouble. Anyone who criticizes him should rethink and if they could must name another person with same qualities. They should also check their hands first. His qualities cannot be bought with money. Only Sunanda can be replaced by Sunanda.

No comments:

Post a Comment